Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Photo Challenge - Day 7



I, of course, had to follow Jenny's lead. I wish I had better pictures of my parents. I have one at work and the rest are still in storage. But here are two I've shared before. I love and miss my parents so much. My mom had mental problems, a double mastectomy and eye surgeries when I was in high school. It was a very difficult time for our family, but God brought me through and gave me a gift I will never forget. The last time I saw her was in a rest home in Atascadero. We had two of the best hours ever - we talked, laughed and shared memories. She died a week later (a year before I got married). But that was a memory I will cherish. My Nana said she had accepted the Lord when she was little, but I wasn't raised in a Christian home.

As for my dad...yes, I was daddy's little girl, but I wasn't spoiled. He would do anything to protect me. He encouraged me in everything I did and I sure miss him a lot, too. He did get to walk me down the aisle when Dan and I got married. The last time I saw him was in Montana when he came to visit. It was the last time I saw him in snow (he hated it, mainly because he grew up in it and always was the shoveler). I did get to tell him he was going to be a grandfather and when Elizabeth was born, I got to hear his excitement when I told him he WAS a grandfather. I wrote him a letter about Christianity and my conversion, but I never got to talk to him about it. God only knows.

My parents were loving and kind, encouraging and kept me in line. Even with my mom's problems, I still have all the good and sweet memories of her to hang on to. And I have special memories of both of them which I will always treasure.

No comments: