Tuesday, April 28, 2009

His Plans for My Life

'For I know the plans that I have for you,' declares the LORD, 'plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope. Jeremiah 29:11

The mind of man plans his way, but the LORD directs his steps. Proverbs 16:9

O LORD, You are my God; I will exalt You, I will give thanks to Your name; for You have worked wonders, plans formed long ago, with perfect faithfulness. Isaiah 25:1



Friday was my last day working in the office of Grace Church. Sunday was the last regular Sunday service for me and Dan...the last time I read Scripture...the last time I listened to the choir...the last time I'll see my friends on a regular basis. Monday was a last good-bye to a lot of friends. And it was a special time of memories, laughter and prayer. Thanks to all who were there. We love you so much. Tonight was my last Biggest Loser/American Idol night with my friend, Noonie. A lot of years have passed with LOADS of memories from living in SLO for 45 years and going to Grace Church - corner of Osos and Pismo - for almost 39 years. I will head out Wednesday morning after I finish packing up the stuff in the little bedroom we stayed in for the last 8 months in my mother-in-love's house - Thanks, mom, for putting up with us for so long.

But, on the other hand: Wednesday will be the first day I'll step into my own house and be able to stay with my husband (no more commuting for either of us). It will be the first time I will have to look for another church in 39 years. It will also be the first time to look for a job in 12-1/2 years (I'll take my time on that one).

God has certainly been with us every step of the way. We are moving away because of our job situation. American Eagle said bye-bye to SLO and Dan went with them to LA, we thought for just a few months. But, the way the economy was going, decided it was best to be where he had work. We looked for housing and just couldn't seem to find something in our price range that had parking and laundry...our two most important specifications we felt we needed as we saw what Southern CA living could be like. We saw the house I blogged about, but thought it was a little small (or something - we can't remember why we didn't look at it before). A month later we were heading somewhere else, but "happened" to park in front of this house again and saw that it was still available. So, we finally decided we should at least see if it met our specifications...AND IT DID.

"God, You showed this house to us and we didn't get the hint. You showed it to us again, and we listened." Amazing what happens when you decide to listen to God, rather than to your sight.


So, who knows how long we will be gone? We hope to come back eventually. In the meantime, we will make Redondo Beach our home and find a new church family to get involved with and figure out what ministry we can do together as a couple. AND be able to spend time with our daughter and son-in-love now that we are closer to them. God is faithful, God is good, God is loving and He provides for all our needs, wherever He plants us.

4 comments:

Joanie said...

Beautiful. We will miss you, and keep you in prayer, Birthday Buddy!

Lisa Lewis said...

Robbin you are a great writer! Keep up the sharing so we can watch what God is doing in you and through you in the South Bay! I am excited to hear (and see) how He faithfully leads you to a new place to share in His love and grow deeper in the knowledge of Him. Love you my dear sister-in-Christ!

Bonnie said...

I am excited for you in your newfound home. I know that God has some great friends there for you to make and touch in your own special way. Remembering that nothing is a mistake with His children...He works all things together for the good of those that love Him and are CALLED according to His purpose (for us.)
Love you both

Katie Lady said...

Welcome to So Cal! We'd love to have a visit with you. So, once you get "settled," we'll make a trip or you can make a trip and see each other! Maybe we'll meet in the middle at a Claim Jumper for a chocolate chip calzone!! Moving/starting new/making friends is such an adventure. There are lonely times...so when one hits you, give us a call! My cell is the same...