Saturday, December 6, 2008

Christmas Song for All Year 'Round

I have loved this song since the first time I heard Randy Stonehill sing it. I've shared the words on bookmarks, I've sung it for a couple of meetings and I sing it to myself anytime it comes to mind - after all, it is for all year 'round. I'm just hoping that people, in all their hustle and bustle, would realize what this season really means. A Savior was born to us, to save us, because of His deep love for us. But I have to share something else first.

I have a sweatshirt that says "MERRY MAS" on the front.
And on the back it says, "IT'S JUST NOT THE SAME WITHOUT CHRIST."


And now...mi, mi, mi


I wonder if this Christmas they'll begin to understand
The Jesus that they celebrate was much more than a man.
'Cause the way the world is I don't see how people can deny,
the only way to save us was for Jesus Christ to die.

And I know that if St. Nicholas was here, he would agree
that Jesus gave the greatest gift of all to you and me.
They led Him to the slaughter on a hill called Calvary
and mankind was forgiven when they nailed Him to the tree.

But most of all the children, they're the ones I hope will learn
that Jesus is our Savior and He's going to return.
And Christmas isn't just a day and all days aren't the same.
Perhaps they'll think about the word and see it spells His name.

And I know that if St. Nicholas was here, he would agree
that Jesus gave the greatest gift of all to you and me.
They led Him to the slaughter on a hill called Calvary
and mankind was forgiven...mankind was forgiven...
we were all forgiven when they nailed Him to the tree.

So Merry Christmas...Merry Christmas...Merry Christmas...oooh, oooh

I wonder if this Christmas they'll begin to understand........................
c.1976 King of Hearts Publishing

3 comments:

Bonnie said...

Ah yes. Woolworth's lunch, the smell of the oil on the floors, the endless bins of five and dime stuff. The things I love about getting older are these kinds of memories. The things, but especially the people that have been such a integral part of my life and what makes me. You have been a big part of my growing independant part of life. We had lots of fun, didn't we? So much of what I write are just the thoughts that come and go as I learn to appreciate as never before. Thank you for Your encouragement, your contagious smile, and acceptance of the people around you. You always have been that way. Love you too.

Joanie said...

Randy Stonehill is a favorite of mine. I actually need to listen to more of his songs, including this one, I confess, but he's got powerful lyrics with that amazing range of his. He is one of my favorites because of "In Jesus' Name." I could listen to it over and over.

How are you doing? I keep thinkin gof you with all this upheaval and your anniversary coming up. Hope all is well.

jenny said...

Hey Robbin -

I didn't take the one of you with Noonie and Shirley... it was on Noonie's camera, I think. Hope she can get it to you! Good to spend some time with you the other day.