Wednesday, January 9, 2008

More than I thought

I have been feeling a little letdown since summer ended. And I figured out it was because we were no longer in fast mode of packing things, going on trips, traveling to and from Oregon. All of a sudden we were in a house with no cat running around, no kid to wait up for and no sound at night - quiet. It is quiet in this house. And I realized I missed my daughter more than I thought I would. I knew I would miss her, but she is so far away now. It's not just a day trip or overnight trip. Not like my other daughter who is 3 hours away. She is 12 hours away - and I don't drive 12 hours; I barely drive 3 hours.

I never thought I would be so glad to have a cellphone and be able to text. I had to learn this because my girls text and if I wanted to communicate, I had to learn. I may not be as fast and I may not "misspell" a lot just to make it short (although I'm learning some shortcuts), but I'm thankful I can keep in touch with them in this way. Yes, we do still talk on the phone, too, and we have Facebook and emails, so we should never lose touch, right? These are all good things to try to keep in touch with, but they can also be disconnected in some fashion anytime you aren't expecting it - no connection through the hills, system is too busy, power lines down.

But God is in touch all the time. He never sleeps - "he who watches over you will not slumber"...Ps. 121:3b; He sees everything - "he views the ends of the earth and sees everything under the heavens"...Job 28:24; He is always there - "and surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age"...Matt. 28:20. We can move anywhere and stay in touch all the time because He moves with you. You can never run away from Him and you can never hide from Him. So why try? It's truly a comfort to know that my Heavenly Father loves me so much and will never leave my side no matter what.

I may not be with my girls all the time, but I know my God is with them and watching them and will protect them. He loves them so much more than I do, and I would do anything for them. He already did everything - He gave us His Son, Jesus, who was willing to die for them and for me because of His love for us.

How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are! 1 John 3:1

No comments: